Random act of kindness can release stress from your life. Scientific evidence has proven that kindness changes the brain, impacts the heart and immune system, and may even be an antidote to depression. We're actually genetically wired to be kind.
According to scientific studies, some of the physiological benefits to this experience include:
- Increased immune system
- Improved Cognitive Performance
- Increase in energy
- Lower heart rate
- Balanced cortisol levels which result in less internal stress
- More likely to live a longer and more satisfied life
- Laughter and inner joy resulting in decreased stress hormones; lower blood pressure; diminished pain
So how do we begin practicing random acts of kindness that will boost our energy levels and improve our overall sense of wellbeing?
In my experience most of us are far more practiced in doing for others before doing for ones self! Sometimes a lack of self worth makes it difficult to focus our energies on showing kindness towards ourselves, so instead we express this natural urge outwardly upon others. This of cause as research shows has numerous positive effects on our own health but the balance of giving and doing for others can sometimes tip the scale too far one way and the effects can leave us feeling, tired drained and sometimes even resentful.
“You cant give what you don't have” so in order to keep the scales balanced and continue to receive all the psychological, physiological, biochemical benefits of being kind to others lets look at how we can fill our own bucket, so we always feel we do have the energy to give without feeling we are going without.
I invite you to choose from the list below and even add to the list by creating our own random act of kindness towards yourself. Practice putting yourself first this week with the intention of filling your own bucket so its over flowing, allowing you to give even more…how awesome a feeling would that be. To feel so self fulfilled that you have no other option but so share your cup that runeth over!
10 Random Acts of Kindness
- Take a long hot Epsom salt bath
- Buy yourself a bunch of your favorite flowers
- Treat yourself to a massage
- Take an afternoon nap
- Spend a Sunday doing what you love the most
- Listen to your favorite music
- Spend an afternoon in nature; by the ocean or in the bush
- Lye under a tree with your favorite book
- Acknowledge your achievements – right them down
- Tell yourself “I’m amazing I Rock” again and again until you start smiling and laughing writes it on your bathroom mirror!