I am a father of 2 kids and I know the challenges of adding quality to kid’s diets. I think that kids eat what you eat. So that’s rule number one. If you buy junk food, your kids will eat junk food.
- Only buy health foods. Unhealthy foods should not be bought or stored in your house. The rule at my place is that they are only allowed to eat sugar or certain foods in parties. So we call sugar party food. Apart of that we only eat and buy unprocessed foods, fruit and vegetables.
- The law of persistence. Kids take up a few times to learn how to eat and enjoy a new food. So persistence is the key, Keep adding fruit and vegetables to your kids life and make sure that all meals contain fruit and vegetables.
- Fruit is good for you and good for your kids. Eat fruit, create fruit smoothies and add green leafy vegetables to it. The secret here is to do not let them see the green colour. Kids hate the green colour. Go figure…so add superfoods to your green shakes so they will be purple if you blend banana, acai powder and kale. If you add raw cacao powder it will be brown and so on. I would add the following super foods to your kids green shakes : raw acai powder, raw cacao powder, raw spirulina powder.
- Chop, chop and blend. Tomato is your best friend here. Most kids like tomato sauce, so create your own raw tomato sauce blending on a high speed blender some sundried tomatoes, and herbs, lots of fresh herbs. Remember that fresh herbs are green leafy vegetables and are so rich in antioxidants, minerals and vitamins. You and your kids will love it.
- Be tough. At the supermarket and shops DON’T buy processed foods. A friend of mine once said to me : “Aren’t you depriving your kids from having a normal life?” I replied: “I would deprive them of a normal life if I was giving them junk food. Later in life they would get sick and have a poor quality of life, that is deprivation” . Joining the masses and following people eating whatever they want, that is the problem. So be tough here. Education is a powerful tool. Use it.
- Organic. No novelty here. If you are feeding yourself and your kids pesticides, the end result will be a disease. So organic , organic and organic !